Lesson 16. It's so much easier to practice irregular verbs with someone. Watch and listen to John as he works through the top 50 irregular verbs. You can also download an MP3 for your iPod / mobile phone.
< Back to main menu
Hi, for this lesson I've prepared a list of the top 50 irregular verbs in English, and what we'll do is that each further check the infinitive form, so 'to do', the past simple form, so 'did' and the past and to simple so 'have done'
Now, the best way to use this lesson is to watch it lots of times until you're able to say each example with me.
So let's get started – and here is the first 10 of our top 50.
Past simple is 'became'. Past participle is 'have become'
Past simple is 'began'.
Past participle is 'have begun'
3. Bring, brought, and have brought
4. Buy, bought, have bought
5. Come, came, have come. (We can also say 'have been').
6. Do, did, have done
7. Drink, drank, have drunk
8. Drive, drove, have driven
9. Eat, ate, have eaten
10. Fall, fell, have fallen
11. Feel, felt, have felt
12. Find, found, have found
13. Forget, forgot, have forgotten
14. Get, got, have got. (In American English we can also say 'have gotten') although it's slightly informal.
15. Give, gave, have given
16. Go, went, have gone. (We can also say 'have been'.)
17. Have, had, have had
18. Hear, heard, have heard
19. Hurt, hurt, have hurt
20. Keep, kept, have kept
21. Know, knew, have known
22. Leave, left, have left
23. Let, let, have let
24. Lie, lay, have lain
25. Make, made, have made
26. Meet, met, have met
27. Pay, paid, have paid
28. Put, put, have put
29. Read, read, have read. (And be careful of the difference in pronunciation between 'read' and 'read' [past]
30. Run, ran, have run
31. Say, said, have said
32. See, saw, have seen
33. Sell, sold, have sold
34. Send, sent, have sent
35. Sing, sing, have sung
36. Sit, sat, have sat
37. Sleep, slept, have slept
38. Speak, spoke, have spoken
39. Spend, spent, have spent
40. Stand, stood, have stood
41. Swim, swam, have swum
42. Take, took, have taken
43. Teach, taught, have taught
44. Tell, told, have told
45. Think, thought, have thought
46. Understand, understood, have understood
47. Wake, woke, have woken
48. Wear, wore, have worn
49. Win, won, have won
50. Write, wrote, have written.
So that's the end of our top 50 irregular verbs.
Join me in the next lesson where we'll start to look at future tenses.
Nouns: Countables, Uncountables (1)
Articles (2) (3) | (Zero Article 4) | The: Special Uses (5)
There is, there are (6)
Quantity: Some, Any (7) | Many, Much, A lot of (8) | A few, a little (9)
Prepositions of time: In, On, At (10)
The Present: Present Simple (11) | Present Continuous (12)
The Past: Past Simple (13) | Past Continuous (14) | Present Perfect (15)
Irregular Verbs (16)
The Future: Future Simple (17) | Future Plans (18)
Phrasal Verbs (19) (20)